Re: Asus rt2500 wireless card

Leonid Grinberg wrote:
Hello,

Following the advice I got in the thread "Debian and Wireless on an
IBM Thinkpad), I got myself an Asus wireless LAN card. It uses the
rt2500 driver, which I installed (I downloaded the neccecary Debian
packages, did everything I was supposed to, and now have the rt2500
module loaded). The laptop is running Debian Testing with kernel 2.6.
I am trying to connect over wireless to a Lynksis wireless router. I
cannot do it. I have tried adding

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
wireless_essid <MY_ESSID>

to /etc/network/interfaces, but it is not working (I am doing ifdown
eth0, ifup eth0). Please help!

I would suggest that you first do a few checks on the interface itself:

# iwconfig eth0
This will tell you if the interface is recognized as a wireless one and
if it associates with the correct access point. You can also see how it
reacts to different configuration options such as
# iwconfig eth0 essid ....
I would first try to get everything working without WEP and activate
that later if you want to do so.

# iwlist eth0 scan
This will list all the access points which can be detected and the
signal strengths. Check if you get a good signal from your AP.

If your interface is associated with the correct AP you can try to run
the dhcp client:
# dhclient eth0
Note that there are two versions of the dhcp client package in Debian,
"dhcp-client" and "dhcp3-client". If one fails maybe the other one will
work. Also check if your Linksys router is configured to accept requests
from your wireless card; there might be MAC address based filters, for
example.

Regards,
            Florian