Asus rt2500 wireless card

Hello,

Following the advice I got in the thread "Debian and Wireless on an
IBM Thinkpad), I got myself an Asus wireless LAN card. It uses the
rt2500 driver, which I installed (I downloaded the neccecary Debian
packages, did everything I was supposed to, and now have the rt2500
module loaded). The laptop is running Debian Testing with kernel 2.6.
I am trying to connect over wireless to a Lynksis wireless router. I
cannot do it. I have tried adding

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
wireless_essid <MY_ESSID>

to /etc/network/interfaces, but it is not working (I am doing ifdown
eth0, ifup eth0). Please help!

--
Leonid Grinberg
lgrinberg@gmail.com