Re: OpenOffice 2.0 Sarge or Etch

John Talbut wrote:
I would really like to have OpenOffice 2.0 on my system. At present it seems to be available in Etch or as a backport to Sarge. Currently I am on Sarge with at least one package from Etch.

My options seem to be: use the backport to Sarge, use the Etch version of OpenOffice, upgrade to Etch or wait until OpenOffice 2.0 migrates to Sarge.

Any recommendations or experiences? If I wait, how long is it likely to be before 2.0 gets to Sarge?

OOo 2.0 will never be in Sarge because Sarge is the stable release - all it gets is bugfixes and security updates, not new versions of the software.

For a desktop system (which I assume this is) you're probably better off migrating to Etch anyway. It's stable enough for the vast majority of desktop users who don't need an ultra-stable release like Sarge. Etch is certainly a lot more stable, IMO, than many other distros' so-called "stable" releases.