Re: USB flash drive not automounting or mounting

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 08:45:58PM -0800, Rob Blomquist wrote:
> On Monday 06 February 2006 9:58 am, Andrew Sackville-West so eloquently
> stated:
>
> > Now, I am not sure which of these would be used for a flash drive, but I
> > can tell that a few won't be....
>
> look in /etc/udev/rules.d/050_hal* and see what that says. That is the rule
>  that creates sd* devices.

Excuse me, but we are jumping the gun here.  First, let's rule out
other problems.

I didn't see any email that indicates that you looked in /dev and
did, or did not, find a device special file for your device.

If you didn't find one, that's OK, because you can simply create
one.

After creating it, try mounting your device.  If that works, then
we know that everything else is fine, it's just your udev configuration
that needs to be debugged.

> Nothing here leads me to believe this is how the automounting happens. I also
> looked at my Ubuntu udev scripts and rules and saw nothing there.

Udev doesn't do automounting, it does automatic device special file
creation.

If you look in /dev and don't see your device special file, udev may
be the problem, but if you do look, and see it, then maybe something
else is wrong.

> Can someone enlighten me otherwise?

You need to post the contents of the /proc files I asked for.

When you dump what USB sees, you should see something like:

T:  Bus=02 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=00 Cnt=01 Dev#=  2 Spd=12  MxCh= 0
D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
P:  Vendor=03f0 ProdID=4002 Rev= 0.01
S:  Manufacturer=HEWLETT-PACKARD
S:  Product=HP  PhotoSmart 935
S:  SerialNumber=ZPP300000880
C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=c0 MxPwr= 10mA
I:  If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 3 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
E:  Ad=81(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=02(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS=  64 Ivl=0ms
E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=03(Int.) MxPS=   2 Ivl=255ms

The above indicates that there is a HP Photosmart 936 camera, in mass
storage mode, attached.  Looking at this info I know that this is
a Bulk Only protocol device, that uses SCSI, so the SCSI sub-system
should be in play.  I can check that by looking at what is in the
/proc/scsi directories.

Poke around in your USB and SCSI /proc directories, let us know what
you find.

John S.