Re: udev strangeness in Sid?

hi,

Just did an `apt-get upgrade` on my Sid system and since it pulled in a
new kernel I rebooted. During booting I was greated with _lots_ of
message from udev about not being able to run hotplugd or udevd (I'm
fairly sure those were the programs it was complaining about, I didn't
find any trace of those messages in /var/log/* so I'm relying on my
memory here).

Anyone else seeing the same?
Anyone who can offer a solution that'll make it go away ;-)

i experience similar (same?) problem with the 2.6.15-something kernel that is in the sid right now. i also don't remember the message, but it is udevd that complains that it cannot run something (i recall seeing something like 'runscript' on the error line and then some path beginning with /lib/). the system however boots fine.

this happens only with the distribution kernel. my self-compiled kernels work fine.

>> Could it be related to the fact that udev _never_ is able to update the
>> ramdisk? (update-initramfs -u always reports that
>> "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.15-1-686 was been altered.  Cannot update.")
i recall also seeing similar message that was printed out for my kernel(s) that do not use initrd, that is somewhat strange.

regards,

--
Lubos
_@_"