Re: Install problems: USB, SATA on Dell 3100

On Mon, 2006-02-06 at 16:54 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 07:34:26 -0800
> Andrew Goodman <andrewxgoodman@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm trying to install debian 3.1 on a dell dimension 3100. By using the
> > 2.1.2006 testing release, I can get my hard disks recgonized.  However, the
> > USB keyboard is seen by the installation program, but once the installed
> > system boots the keyboard is not seen.  I have to use a USB keyboard and
> > mouse, as the traditional PS/2 ports no longer exist on the 3100!
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> What do you mean isn't seen? by what: the kernel? X? console?

Please do:

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices > /tmp/usb_devices.txt

and post usb_devices.txt.

Also, post lsmod output, and the contents of any
InputDevice sections (Section "InputDevice") from
your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file.

Explanation:  The proc dump will show most of the
relevant information about any usb devices attached
to your system, the lsmod output will tell us what
usb related modules, if any, you have loaded, and
the InputDevice sections will show us whether or
not you have configured your X server to use
your USB devices.

Obviously, you will have to do this from a different machine,
by ssh or telnet'ing to the box under discussion.

I'm assuming that nothing works, here . . . that
you can't use a virtual terminal, not that you just
can't use X.  If this assumption is in error, tell
me what does work, and what doesn't.

Thanks,
John S.