Re: openMosix vs openSSI

Marcelo Chiapparini <chiappa@oi.com.br> said on Mon, 06 Feb 2006 11:55:54 -0200:
> Hi!
>
> I would like to know how compares openMosix and openSSI. Apparently both
> of them do the (more or less) same thing inside a cluster...

I had a very brief play with openmosix, but not openSSI, but my
understanding is that openmosix will shunt your jobs onto different
CPUs in the cluster.  If they have differing amounts of memory, it'll
also attempt to pick the machine with the appropriate amount of memory
-- if your job needs 1GB, and only one machine has 1GB virtual memory,
then it'll go there.  Of course, there are race conditions in that, if
openmosix is too slow to shunt the job around.  One job on one node
can't see any ram from any other machine.

openssi, AFAIK, just combines all the ram from all the machines into
one memory image -- single system image.  I don't think it can
schedule jobs onto one node or another and gives you N CPUs, but I can
be very much wrong on this.

So, do you want much RAM or many CPUs?