Re: how to change number of saved lines on console

On Monday 06 February 2006 13:06, David Kirchner wrote:
>On 2/6/06, Lubos Vrbka <lubos.vrbka@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hi guys,
>>
>> is it possible to change (increase) the number of lines that are
>> saved on console? i would like to be able to scroll through the
>> whole boot process history. right now it allows me to go
>> approximately one and half pages back...
>>
>> thanks,
>
>I don't have the answer to your question, but you can run "dmesg" to
>view the console messages. The buffer is limited in size, so you'll
>want to run it immediately after boot. I prefer to use a init.d
>script, set up to run last, to run "dmesg > /var/run/dmesg.boot", so I
>have a copy handy at all times.

If you are building your own kernel, increased buffer capacity is as
close as a make xconfig, reset it, rebuild and reinstall, reboot.

The correct line in the .config to adjust is this one:

CONFIG_LOG_BUF_SHIFT=16

It probably has a 14 in there now, for a 16k buffer, the 16 above is
64k.

Have fun!

--
Cheers, Gene