Re: Azureus and the TCP port 6881

Hello Gene,

thank you very much for your answer. However, I am a completly ignorant
regarding NAT... after reading your advice, I went to the NAT howto and
I was scared...

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 19:26 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 30 January 2006 17:59, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> >Dear debianners,
> >
> >I've just installed Azureus as my .torrent client. During its
> >configuration the wizard checks for the 6881 TCP port reporting the
> >following message: "Testing port 6881...   NAT error". I would like to
> >know how to open this port. I've surfed the list, googled the web
> >without success. I am wired to the Internet by an ADSL connection. I
> >wonder if this problem involves my Internet provider...
> >Thanks in advance for any help!
> >
> More than likely you'll need to setup a NAT rule in iptables.

iptables is, in fact, an (from the man page) "administration tool for
IPv4 packet filtering and NAT". You suggest to use iptables to set up a
NAT rule, isn't?

> I have
> the NAT being done in the router,

my router, I guess, is with my IP provider... I can't do anything in
that machine...

> by forwarding this range of ports
> directly to this machines address.  Its all setup in the router for
> that.
>
> But I also have to open up iptables a wee bit on my firewall box, with
> this rule:

I don't have a firewall installed in my machine...
> -----------
> #!/bin/bash
> BTFORWARDADDR=192.168.xx.3 PORTSTART=6881 PORTEND=6999
> /sbin/iptables -A FORWARD -s $BTFORWARDADDR -p tcp --dport $PORTSTART:
> $PORTEND -j ACCEPT
> -----------
> Where the "xx" is a real number of course.

My problem is that I want to open port 6881 (or another one,following
Chris Howie's tip) for Azureus. I have sarge installed in my machine at
home, wired to my Internet Provider trough an ADSL connection. I would
like to be able to open the ports without having to study the gory
details of NAT... sorry, I am not lazy, I don't have the time for it...

With the best regards,

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini