Re: How to add a new dir to my PATH?

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 04:48:52PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Feb 2006 19:43:00 -0500
> Dan Martins <dan-martins@rogers.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 02:31:52PM -0200, Bruno Buys wrote:
> > > I am trying to figure out which file I shall edit, in order to add an
> > > extra dir to my PATH ($HOME/bin).
> > > If I log on to my debian sarge in text mode, my .bash_profile is read.
> > > If I log right to X (kdm), it doesn't. The same happens to .bashrc.
> > > Thanks!
> > >

> > ~/.bash_profile should be read when the shell is opened as a login
> > shell, ie. from the console you enter username and password.
> >
> > ~/.bashrc should be read when a shell is opened through xterm, aterm,
> > Konsole, etc.
> >
> > The easiest thing i've found is to add "source ~/.bashrc" to
> > .bash_profile and "export PATH="......"" to ~/.bashrc
> >
> > The only reason i can think of not to do this is if your .bashrc and
> > .bash_profile set up your shell differently from each other. In my case
> > they're both empty except for changing my $PATH. If you run into trouble
> > I guess you could change your $PATH variable in a different file and
> > then source that file from both bash scripts.
> >
> > Anyone see a problem with this?
>
> fwiw, my system has no ~/.bash_profile and my ~/.bashrc sources /etc/profile which is the global profile.

Ok, but ~/.bashrc shouldn't be read from if bash is started as a login
shell, unless debian doesn't follow the invocation section of the bash
man page.

Sourcing ~/.bashrc from ~/.bash_profile, ~/.bash_login, or ~/.profile
ensures you have the same $PATH in your plain old terminals as you do in
X.

Dan