Re: cups suddenly stopped working

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 05:25:18PM +0200, Simo Kauppi wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 09:42:51AM -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> > Running testing with daily updates.
> >
> > I've been happily printing for many months but just yesterday cups
> > stopped. The error log says that there is no classes.conf file and
> > attempts to restart the daemon show a failure status of 98. Where
> > could it have gone and how do I regenerate it? Do I have to reinstall
> > cups from scratch?
> >
> > --
> > "The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his
> >  ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic."
> >    --- H. L. Mencken
> >     Rick Pasotto    rick@niof.net    http://www.niof.net
>
> Hi,
>
> IIRC, the 98 means, that somebody else is using the port and CUPS
> cannot use it.
>
> There seemed to be a little change in the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file in
> the last update.
>
> The new version has a couple of includes at the end:
> Include /etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf
> Include /etc/cups/cups.d/browse.conf
>
> So, first check that you don't have two entries for the listening port,
> one in the cupsd.conf and the other via the include ports.conf. If you
> have two entries, just comment one of them out.

Yes, that was the problem. I commented out the line in cupsd.conf and
all is well. Thank you.

> I'm not sure if this is related to the classes.conf at all, that could
> be a separate problem.

I still get that line in the error log but since I can otherwise print
it doesn't seem really to be a problem.

--
"Like his father [William Ford], [Henry] Ford started with scarcely a
 dollar in his pocket.  When he was working on his 1st car, he held 2