Re: cups suddenly stopped working

On Sun, Feb 05, 2006 at 09:42:51AM -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> Running testing with daily updates.
>
> I've been happily printing for many months but just yesterday cups
> stopped. The error log says that there is no classes.conf file and
> attempts to restart the daemon show a failure status of 98. Where
> could it have gone and how do I regenerate it? Do I have to reinstall
> cups from scratch?
>
> --
> "The kind of man who wants the government to adopt and enforce his
>  ideas is always the kind of man whose ideas are idiotic."
>    --- H. L. Mencken
>     Rick Pasotto    rick@niof.net    http://www.niof.net

Hi,

IIRC, the 98 means, that somebody else is using the port and CUPS
cannot use it.

There seemed to be a little change in the /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file in
the last update.

The new version has a couple of includes at the end:
Include /etc/cups/cups.d/ports.conf
Include /etc/cups/cups.d/browse.conf

So, first check that you don't have two entries for the listening port,
one in the cupsd.conf and the other via the include ports.conf. If you
have two entries, just comment one of them out.

I'm not sure if this is related to the classes.conf at all, that could
be a separate problem.

Simo
--
:r ~/.signature