Re: New to Debian

On 2/5/06, Kerry K. Waldrip <kerry.waldrip@charter.net> wrote:
> uname -r
> 2.4.27-2-386

[...]
> I've searched the web via google and RTM all to no avail.  I apt-got ALSA yesterday.  Anyone offering advice would be my new best friend.  :)

Did you get alsa-modules-2.4.27-2-386 ?  That should have the modules
you're looking for, though you'll need to run depmod before you can
modprobe for them.  You can also install alsa-modules-2.4-386 instead
of the more specific version, and that will keep alsa-modules synced
up with your kernel if you have kernel-image-2.4-386 installed as
well.  The 2.4-386 version will *always* depend on the specific 2.4
kernel in the repository, so only install that if you're going to
follow the latest 2.4 kernel.

Once you've installed the modules package and run depmod, the alsaconf
program from alsa-utils should get everything configured.  You might
have to add the appropriate module to /etc/modules, if alsaconf
doesn't do it for you.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh