Re: Re: module load sequence

Lei Kong wrote:
How do I make sure ide_generic module is loaded before libata and
ata_piix? I need to do this on my thinkpad z60t, because the dvd rom
won't be recognized otherwise.

echo ide_generic >> /etc/modules

--
Chris Howie

Thanks, I tried this before, it didn't work for me.
I was following the instructions from thinkwiki:

    DVD drive not recognized

The ata_piix SATA driver grabs ownership over the IDE ports when it is loaded, but (by default) does not support PATA ATAPI devices such as the Ultrabay optical drives. Thus, if the ide driver is compiled as a module and loaded after ata_piix, the DVD drive will not be recognized by either driver.

Either of the following configurations will work:

    * For kernel 2.6.14 and newer: enable ATAPI support in the SATA
      system using |libata.atapi_enabled=1| (see below; this is
      experimental).
    * Compile IDE into the kernel (non-module).
    * Compile both IDE and SATA as modules and make sure IDE is loaded
      first (the module is called 'ide_generic').

Note that the optical drive must be in the Ultrabay during system boot (Ultrabay device swapping is currently unsupported).

I wasn't able to get solution 1 work, solution 2 works, but the machine hangs there when I took the dvd rom out from the bay. So, I was trying to get number 3 work. I tried the
follwing things:
1) put ide_generic in /etc/modules, no luck
2) put ide_generic in /etc/mkinitrd/modules or /etc/mkinitramfs/modules and reinstall the kernel, ide_generic was loaded before ata_piix and libata, but then my sata hd
  was recognized as hda instead of sda, which lead to boot failure.
3) make sata modules dependent on ide_generic by modifying /lib/modules/xxx/module.dep,
 didn't work.

Lei