SOLVED - Abit AV8, Alsa and 5.1 Surround Sound

Well did not ask a question but figured I would share my solution to my
problem of getting the surround sound working on my Abit AV8
motherboard. The actual problem was no sound coming from the rear
speakers when they were hooked up according to the colour coding of the
wires. The solution use the speaker-test program to test your speakers
with the command "speaker-test -c6 -Dsurround51:0" (without the quotes)
if your board is anything like mine you will find that the sound for
the base/center speakers will be coming out the rear speakers and for
the rear they will be coming from the base/center speakers so you need
to put the center/subwoofer wire in the rear right/left port and the
rear right/left wire into the center/subwoofer port on the back of the
mother board then when running the speaker-test command the sound
should be coming from the proper speakers. The :0 on then end of the
speaker-test command is for the first card in the system when using
alsa most likely the default for anyone using only the on-board sound.
To get sound from all the speakers using alsa you must unmute the
Duplicate Front mixer setting which will give you sound on the
front/rear right/left speakers you must also unmute then raise the
volumes on the Surround, Center and LFE channels in the mixer of your
choice. Hopefully this post will save someone some time in the future.

Stephen
--
Debian the choice of a GNU generation

GPG Public Key: http://users.eastlink.ca/~stephencormier/publickey.asc