Re: empty root history file

BTP wrote:

Hello, I have logged in today to discover my root history file to be nicely empty.

However my main user 'bart' .bash_history file still contains all the previous commands..

I know I didn't delete this myself, is there any debian management process that archives the history contents?
Or should I suspect something else here?

Thanks

Bart

It may well be that someone has root access to your system and that they may have emptied your history in order to remove evidence of what they were up to.

Think whether it is possible that anyone knows your root password, or whether you have an easily guessible root password, and check whether there are any rootkits on your system.

I am pretty sure that the history does not simply vanish by itself.

cheers
Duncan

___________________________________________________________ NEW Yahoo! Cars - sell your car and browse thousands of new and used cars online! http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/