Re: PHP Installed, but not working

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 09:46:06PM -0700, Ed Young wrote:
> I've installed php4 and related packages but the apache server doesn't
> indicate php support.
>
> I edited the /etc/apache/http.conf file and added
> # And for PHP 4.x, use:
>     #
>     AddType application/x-httpd-php .php
>     AddType application/x-httpd-php-source .phps
> So it will recognize the file extenstions.

You also need to load the php-module. In apache2 the available modules
are in the /etc/apache2/mods-available directory. Basically you just need
to make a symlink from /etc/apache2/mods-available to
/etc/apache2/mods-enabled and restart apache2.

You can make the symlink manually or using the apache2 tool a2enmod.
See the manpage for details.

> and placed it in the
> /var/www/apache2-default directory.

You need to check the configuration and define the DocumentRoot. I think
the default root is /var/www. Going to the apache2-default directory
is done with a RedirectMatch directive for a case when you point your
browser to http://localhost/.

> Thanks in advance.

Simo
--