Re: PCMCIA on a IBM Thinkpad

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006 19:30:27 -0500
Leonid Grinberg <lgrinberg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I recently bought an IBM Thinkpad. It has 2 PCMCIA slots and comes
> with a PCMCIA Lan Card (3COM Megahertz 10/100 LAN CardBUS Model
> 3CXFE575CT). The computer came with Windows 2000, and the card worked
> fine, so I know the card is not faulty.
>
> As I tried to install Debian Testing, I installed the base system, but
> I cannot get networking to work. ifconfig returns only the loopback
> interface, and /etc/network/interfaces only has the loopback
> interface. I added one for eth0, but it still does not work.
>
> Someone on Usenet
> (http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_thread/thread/860e77cb06d2e51d/a43656903237dbda%23a43656903237dbda?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=1&num=2)
> seems to have a very similar problem. He got a reply saying that he
> needs to change some configuration values. I have never configured the
> kernel before, but from what I understand, I need to have the sources
> for it. Unfortunately, debian-installer does not come with the
> sources.
>
> What should I do? Thank you in advance for your help.
>
> --
> Leonid Grinberg
> lgrinberg@gmail.com

Actually that response says:

"It's supported by the 3c59x driver.  You *do* have that one, don't you?"

You can check with 'lsmod'. Then it says:

"[...] If that's not enabled in your kernel, it needs to be.  You need
CONFIG_HOTPLUG, CONFIG_PCMCIA, but not CONFIG_HOTPLUG_PCI."

That means should check the kernel config. The stock 2.6.8 kernel from Sarge seems to be ok.
Later:

"Install hotplug, read README.Debian, configure /etc/network/interfaces
appropriately, you're done."

That is /usr/share/doc/hotplug/README.Debian (I presume)

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)