PCMCIA on a IBM Thinkpad

Hello,

I recently bought an IBM Thinkpad. It has 2 PCMCIA slots and comes
with a PCMCIA Lan Card (3COM Megahertz 10/100 LAN CardBUS Model
3CXFE575CT). The computer came with Windows 2000, and the card worked
fine, so I know the card is not faulty.

As I tried to install Debian Testing, I installed the base system, but
I cannot get networking to work. ifconfig returns only the loopback
interface, and /etc/network/interfaces only has the loopback
interface. I added one for eth0, but it still does not work.

Someone on Usenet
(http://groups.google.com/group/linux.debian.user/browse_thread/thread/860e77cb06d2e51d/a43656903237dbda%23a43656903237dbda?sa=X&oi=groupsr&start=1&num=2)
seems to have a very similar problem. He got a reply saying that he
needs to change some configuration values. I have never configured the
kernel before, but from what I understand, I need to have the sources
for it. Unfortunately, debian-installer does not come with the
sources.

What should I do? Thank you in advance for your help.

--
Leonid Grinberg
lgrinberg@gmail.com