[Solved]: Resume from S3 breaks console

Hello Rado,

I'm posting this back as it might help others too

> > Any suggestions how to reset the console?
>
> I have an HP nx6110 with i915GM chipset and similar problems with
> X/console after wake up.  I use the vbetool
> utility to restore the video, like 'vbetool post'. I've put in in the
> scripts to call after wake up.
>
> See if this will work for you too.
>
> Regards,
> Rado

the 'post' option will effectively kill my console. Lucky I had a shutdown script bound to the power button event which still worked ;)

Then I tried some of the other options of vbetool. I was able to restore the console with 'vbemode set'. This interferes with X, but restarting it will do the trick.

This is not a perfect solution (because it requires a X restart), but I guess I could automate this with two scripts to something like:

stop X
suspend
(possibly bound to the suspend button event)

and then the resume script:

stop the fan (I solved that one on my own ;) )
restore the console
startx

Though not so perfect, good to know I can get my laptop back fully functional after a suspend

Thanks Rado

Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. (Albert Einstein)