Re: ps2pdf fails with enigmatic (meaning "useless") error

Carl Fink wrote:
I'm trying to convert a PostScript file to PDF using the ps2pdf from
gs-common.  Both ps2pdf and ps2ps fail with this set of messages:

Error: /rangecheck in --image--
Operand stack:
   --dict:7/7(L)--
Execution stack:
   %interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3
%oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop   .runexec2
--nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   2   %stopped_push
--nostringval--   --nostringval--   1   8   %oparray_pop
Dictionary stack:
   --dict:1121/1686(ro)(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:113/200(L)--
--dict:301/452(L)--   --dict:109/112(L)--   --dict:401/455(L)--
--dict:109/112(L)--   --dict:62/75(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Current file position is 9949495
ESP Ghostscript 815.01: Unrecoverable error, exit code 1

This error is of course of no value whatsoever in solving the problem.  The
PostScript file prints fine on an actual HP printer.

I tried every set of options I could think of for ps2pdf with the identical
result.  This does not appear to match any bugs at bugs.debian.org.

The original is in PageMaker so I can't try Openoffice's PDF abilities.

Any ideas?

1) Check if PageMaker has an option to make "nicer" postscript. Some
programs have "optimize for speed" vs. "optimize for portability" or
something similar. Furthermore, if there are any embedded objects from
other programs in the PageMaker file, it might help to convert them
to native PageMaker paths before generating the postscript file. (I have
no specific knowledge of PageMaker whatsoever, I am just guessing based
on my experiences with other drawing/DTP applications.)

2) Try if gs-gpl or gs-afpl can process the file. I think you can
install all three variants and switch between them with the alternatives
system.

3) Can't PageMaker create the PDF directly, maybe using one of those
free pseudo-printer PDF-writers?

4) If all else fails you might have to recalibrate your Heisenberg
compensator. (At least that's what I understand from this nice and clear
error message...)

Regards,
            Florian