Re: sharing /usr and /usr/share

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
The FHS says that /usr is sharable, read-only data. And that /usr/share is sharable even across architectures.

I suppose you mean Filesystem Hierarchy Standard.

Now suppose I have a network of Debian machines, whose packages are all maintained and regularly upgraded with aptitude. Presumably, each machine would have a different set of packages. How would aptitude react if I were to NFS-mount /usr (or just /usr/share) so as to have only one copy around, as intended by the FHS?

This is an interesting question. I don't think it would work,
unless all your machines were the same architecture for /usr.
For /usr/share it might.

OTOH, what if machine A mounts /usr and machine B mounts /usr,
but they have *locally* mounted incompatible versions of software.
Doesn't sound likely to work.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.