Re: kprinter: error after upgrade

Philipp Pagel wrote:

[...]

But if I try to print via kprinter a dialog Box pops up saying

"Error while printing file"

followed by

(Catastropy! - KNotify)
"A print error occurred. Error message received from system:

Error while reading filter description for true. Empty command line
received."

And the follwoing error message goes to STDERR:
"QFile::open: No file name specified"

For some printers I was able to fix the problem by simply deleting and
re-installing them. Others refuse to work even after that. For the ones
that still don't work the test page (during installation) printed fine
but the above error remains.

Any hints? Any debug options I could use to get more information on the
nature of the problem? Any good URLs describing the filter workflow and
its config files?

I used to have this problem, too. (It seems to be fixed in Sid now.) I
found out that it was caused by a broken filter which had been left in
place after some print job. If that is also the case for you, then you
should be able to fix it: When the KPrinter dialog comes up, select
"Properties" and find the "Filter" tab. You will probably have to use
the scroll buttons since this tab is all the way to the right. If there
is a filter listed, select it and press the delete button (white cross
on red or gray background). This always fixed it for me.

Regards,
          Florian