Re: Logging of mail events from Postfix to syslog and rotation of the mail logs

On Sunday 29 January 2006 10:06 am, Simo Kauppi wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 09:17:07AM -0600, Anthony Simonelli wrote:
> > Currently, I am running a Debian Sarge 3.1 as an MTA server using Postfix
> > 2.1.5-9.  My questions pertains to the logging of mail events from
> > Postfix to syslog and rotation of the mail logs.
> >
> > Postfix mail events are logged in both mail.log and syslog under
> > /var/log/ at the moment, leaving me with nearly identical logs.  I'd
> > rather conserve the space and designate only one log file for Postfix
> > mail events (mail.log).
> >
> > Since the system log contains all of Postfix's logs, any other system
> > messages are lost in the mail events when logcheck sends me it's reports.
> >  I already use pflogsumm and awstats to analyze my email activity so I
> > need to stop the mail events from being logged in syslog.  Can anyone
> > show me how this can be done?
> >
> > #  /etc/syslog.conf     Configuration file for syslogd.
> > #
> > #                       For more information see syslog.conf(5)
> > #                       manpage.
> >
> > #
> > # First some standard logfiles.  Log by facility.
> > #
> >
> > auth,authpriv.*                 /var/log/auth.log
> > *.*;auth,authpriv.none          -/var/log/syslog
>
> mail.none should do the trick, i.e.
> *.*;auth,authpriv.none,mail.none  -/var/log/syslog
>
> See man syslog.conf for more details...
>
> > Below is my syslog.conf configuration.  Also, where do you specify when
> > the mail.log files are rotated since it only keeps 7 days worth and I
> > would like 4 weeks worth?
>
> I don't use postfix, but I assume, that it puts its logrotate
> configuration in the standard place, which is /etc/logrotate.d/
> directory (or /etc/logrotate.conf file). Look for postfix in there.
> It has a line, which says 'weekly', change it to 'monthly' (which means
> that log files are rotated the first time logrotate is run in a month).
> I'm not sure if it is possible to set it to exactly four weeks. See
> man logrotate for other possible options to use there.
>
> HTH
> Simo

Thank you so much!! That had been bothering me for a while now and your answer
did the trick.  The funny thing is about the postfix install, I didn't find a
syslog entry anywhere on my system.  I thought I'd find an entry
in /etc/logrotate.d like where exim4-base has one, but there isn't one.

If I write my own in /etc/logrotate.d similar to exim's or another service's
settings, will this override the current behavior now?