Re: How to minimize /dev (using udev)?

On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 04:22:18AM -0500, Marty wrote:
>Marc Wilson wrote:

>>>udev handles that.
>>No, udev does NOT handle that, unless you have some magical way of
>>device node created so that you can load udev from it.
>>Minor chicken-and-egg problem there, huh?   Believe it when I tell you
>>that your machine needs more than just /dev/console in order to boot.
>
>Not true.

So how does it work?
In my naive mind there would be some initial devices on the initial
ramdisk, then at some point things are switched over to my /dev on HD. I
just don't know exactly when udev steps in.

Any pointers to where I can find out?

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

If our ideas of intellectual property are wrong, we must change them,
improve them and return them to their original purpose. When
intellectual property rules diminish the supply of new ideas, they
steal from all of us.
     -- Andrew Brown, November 19, 2005, The Guardian