Re: syslog isn't logging messages

Brian McNally wrote:
I started a post on the Arstechnica Linux forum, but I haven't yet been
able to solve my problem. Here's a link to my original post that
discusses some of the things I've already tried:

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/96509133/m/755007637731

To summarize the problem: syslog isn't logging anything to certain
files is should be (according to /etc/syslog.conf). For example, I
don't see any output in /var/log/kern.log when I should.

Maybe your syslog.conf is overridden by options in /etc/init.d/klogd or
/etc/init.d/sysklogd. On my system the relevant strings are empty, i.e.
KLOGD="" and SYSLOGD="". You should check for that if you have not done
so already. Or you could remove the packages "sysklogd" and "klogd",
purge them to delete all config files and then reinstall them cleanly.
That might be easier than trying to find out what exactly this
"vuurmuur" program has done to them. You should of course back up your
syslog.conf first, then you can use diff afterwards and investigate all
changes. If you are hesitant to do a remove-purge-reinstall you could
use dpkg-deb to extract the sysklogd and klogd packages to some
temporary directory and compare the "clean" config files with the ones
that are currently in your /etc.

Regards,
           Florian