sudo and X

There has been some discussion about sudo and X, but I have yet to
see a solution.

The problem is, with the latest update to sudo, when I try to use sudo
to run a program that opens a window (example: sudo xterm) I get
the error:

xterm: DISPLAY is not set

So I wrote the following script:

#!/bin/bash
echo DISPLAY is $DISPLAY

When I run it using sudo before the sudo update, the output is:

DISPLAY is localhost:11.0

when I run it using sudo after the update, I get:

DISPLAY is

Can I do something to force sudo to set the DISPLAY variable?  I've seen
the suggested solution to use sux, but with sux, the user has to know the
root password, right?

Any help would be appreciated...

Mike