Why does gnome-volume-manager want to eject my USB memory?

When unmounting my USB memory stick I get a popup telling me that
'eject' failed. I'm not too surprised it failed, but it would be nice to
be able to tell GNOME to stop even trying. How do I do that (on a Sid
system)?

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus

by patent law on written works.

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of
enthusiastic about.
     -- Albert Einstein