software RAID on mixed drive types (SATA/IDE)

I was thinking of getting another disk and starting to use software
RAID (levels 1 and 5). I have 2 IDE disks on my 2 IDE buses, but my
motherboard also has 2 empty SATA connectors. I know putting more than
1 RAID drive on a single IDE bus is not recommended, so I was thinking
of getting a SATA drive and using that for the RAID array. I can't
find any discussion on whether this is possible or not recommended or
what. So, here are my questions:

1. Can raid devices be of different types (i.e. /dev/hda1, /dev/hdb1,
and /dev/sda1)?

2. Has anyone done this?

3. How would this affect performance?

4. Would it be better or worse than putting 2 IDE devices on one IDE
bus (master/slave like)?

Thanks,

Cameron