multiple network ports

ugh!

I'm having a ton of inconsistencies with my network connections.
I have one ethernet jack on my notebook and one wireless PCMCIA card.
Getting the wireless PCMCIA card is turning into voodoo magic to get it working from time to time.

Given an option of only using one, I would like to be able to disable the wired jack and use just the wireless. But I can't seem to disable the jack.

The interfaces come up as eth0 for the wired jack and eth1 for the wireless. When I insert the PCMCIA card I just get a slew of errors that essentially say the cards inserted but wifi can't do squat with it.

Then in a few days it's working great.

This isn't new stuff, it's an orinoco gold card. Why does the PCMCIA card bus suck so badly? It's worked for years. bleh!