Re: questions about sources.list of new debain release

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:14:40AM +0000, Leo wrote:
>Hello All,
>
>I installed debian for my friend yesterday. I know the "non-us"
>component is obsoleted from release notes.
>
>I remembered the old installer does ask you if you want "non-free" and
>"contribute" packages on your sources.list. But yesterday the new
>installer doesn't prompt me. Does that mean components options of
>"contrib, non-free" are obsoleted as well? I manually added them. It
>seems working.
>
>However I cannot clarify this issue. I read man page of sources.list,
>but it says:
>"...while component is one of main, contrib, non-free, or non-us...."
>It still mentioned them all.
>
>Also on webpages:
>http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
>And
>http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-basico.en.html
>
>They all mentioned those three components "contrib, non-free, or
>non-us". So I am confused that what indeed we can use now?
>
>I will be much appreciated if anyone can clarify my confusion. Many thanks

This isn't a definitive answer, I know, but it seems those directories
are still populated with packages that aren't in 'main'. Too me that
suggests they aren't obsoleted... maybe it's only an installer
bug/feature?

/M

magnus@therning.org
http://therning.org/magnus