Re: Trying to upgrade libc6: aptitute wants to remove the kernel.

On Monday 23 January 2006 01:20, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

>> I've got a mixed stable/testing system which I've been trying to
>> upgrade
>> and dist-upgrade for a while.  Whenever I try to `aptitude install
>> libc6` to testing or unstable, with various options, I get this
>> ominous warning:
>>
>> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>>   base-config initrd-tools kernel-image-2.4.23-1-386
>>   kernel-image-2.4.26-1-k7 kernel-image-2.4.27-1-k7
>>   kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386 kernel-image-2.4.27-2-k7
> actually, now that I think about it, how can you NOT have libc6
> already?

I had libc6 stable, but it was holding back an increasing list of other
packages from being upgraded, and there was something very fishy about
the initrd-tools dependency.  I tried
  aptitude -t testing install libc6 initrd-tools
and
  aptitude -t unstable install libc6 initrd-tools
but they refused to cooperate.  (Sorry, I don't remember the exact error
messages.)

In the end I had to do this:
   aptitude download initrd-tools/testing
   dpkg -i initrd-tools_0.1.84_all.deb