Re: Trying to upgrade libc6: aptitute wants to remove the kernel.

On Sat, 21 Jan 2006 12:51:04 +0000
Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've got a mixed stable/testing system which I've been trying to upgrade
> and dist-upgrade for a while.  Whenever I try to `aptitude install
> libc6` to testing or unstable, with various options, I get this ominous
> warning:
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   base-config initrd-tools kernel-image-2.4.23-1-386
>   kernel-image-2.4.26-1-k7 kernel-image-2.4.27-1-k7
>   kernel-image-2.4.27-2-386 kernel-image-2.4.27-2-k7
>
> I think there's a way to get over this hump without making my computer
> unbootable, but I can't figure it out.  I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Well the SCARY option is to go ahead and do the removal and then apt-get install the kernel of your choice, which should drag back everything else you need (not sure about base-config) and then redo you're bootloader, all before bothering to reboot. Of course if your power fails mid-transition, well, you know. I did this once, didn't reboot, and actually forgot I was still running on a kernel that had been removed...ymmv.

not recommended for newbies.

actually, now that I think about it, how can you NOT have libc6 already?