Re: gnome & firefox & thunderbird

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 23:26:44 +0000
Adam Hardy <adam.ant@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote:

> I keep seeing messages about Firefox and Thunderbird but it's never
> about this and I can't find any info about how to control this in Gnome:

Gnome has nothing to do with it. I expect Thunderbird probably is
defaulted to sensible-browser and sensible-browser finds the
system wide default set in /etc/alternatives (you can use galternatives
to configure this by changing x-www-browser).

> I want to click on a link in Thunderbird emails, and see the Firefox
> browser pop up a new browser window in the foreground.

Different browsers have different ways to specify how to open a
link in a new window so you have to find out how to do this for the
version of firefox you are using then find out how to make the change in
thunderbird to call Firefox directly with the option you want.

With Firefox 1.5 I can go to the command line and type:

firefox -new-window http://freshmeat.net

: and it opens the link in a new window, it may be different with
1.0.7. Don't know how the command is specified in Thunderbird but if it
shows something like:

sensible-browser $S

: then you would change it to:

firefox -new-window $S

I'm sure changing the default browser in Thunderbird has been covered a
million times on the net, so it shouldn't be too hard to find the
details for it.

Later, Seeker