grub master boot record problem

Bear with me on this one... I have 3 hard drives, hda is a ntfs drive for extra space on windows, hdb is supposed to be a debian etch drive... And the kicker, sda is the windows drive with the master boot record.

When I install debian testing it see's windows on sda but installs the mbr on hda. (the extra ntfs drive that is nothing more than extra space). I figure, no big deal, it should still be able to call sda for windows and hdb for linux even if its there. Nope, it won't boot the SATA windows drive (sda) but it boots hdb (debian) just fine. So I figure, ok.... grub-install /dev/sda. But instead of working it starts up giving me this

GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB.... (to infinity, it just keeps going forever)

So of course now windows doesn't boot anymore so I boot to the xp cd and fixmbr... which also stuffs it on hda with the RETARDED F6 YOU HAVE TO GO TO A MUSEUM TO GET A 1.44 MB FLOPPY DRIVE TO LOAD SATA DRIVERS FOR WINDOWS AT BOOT TIME. (yes, i think that was ill thought out for something written from 2000-2003). So whatever... I unhook all of the other drives and fixmbr again to fix the problem.

Now that is fine and all, but now i'm right back where i began.... except with ntloader on hda instead of grub because windows wanted it on hda more than sda too. Which is fine, i can just grub-install /dev/hda with a rescue disk to fix that one too.

So if no matter what I do, its always going to install the MBR on hda if it has a choice with both SATA and ATA drives in the same system. How do I get around something like this? I just want the mbr on sda so grub can boot both drives. Or am I going about this all wrong

/dev/hda (ntfs windows extra space)
/dev/hdb (ex3 linux)
/dev/sda (ntfs windows drive with MBR)

Any suggestions?