Re: Free Memory and Tasks

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 21:09:13 +0100
Marco <marco4ever@libero.it> wrote:

> this is my memory statistics:
>  1295184k total,   664740k used,   630444k free,    85144k buffers
> and every day my free memory decrease.

Normally, this is a good thing, since "free" memory is unused memory
(Don't you think that a change in 'free' would have been a good thing in
the first place - call it "unused" because that is what it really is,
but then we'd have to call the "free" command "unused" or something.)
and unused memory is wasted memory. Over time, expect it to go down as
more is committed for apps, caches and disk buffers. You'll also see it
momentarily go up from time to time, especially if you close out a big
app.

> Spamd (5 child in total) use 15% of memory!!! (Now I don't receve
> e-mail, because this server is in testing and the smtp port is closed)

But it's not a good idea to run services you don't use. They do take
some resources that could be put to better use.

How does (if it does) email get to your system? Is spamd only filtering
local mail (pop or fetchmail etc)? spamd wouldn't normally be running
unless there were mail messages to process. As far as apache is
concerned, there's no need to load or run it if you aren't going to be
hosting services, so you're better off doing an aptitude purge apache2.

> Apache2 (7 child in total) use 13% of memory!!! (Now I'don't web
> traffic, my port 80 is closed!)

Much of which is shared, so don't simply total them up.

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.