Re: Debian Etch DVD download help

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 04:18:54PM +0530, ahsan baig wrote:
> I want to download the DVDs for latest debian distribution ( code named
> etch).

That's testing, it's not a final release. The latest final release is
Sarge. You also, unless the target machine has no or very slow networking,
should try the netinst CDs, or maybe CD1. Unlike other distributions,
you don't need all the CDs to install - the packages are arranged according
to popularity, so you don't need later CDs or the second DVD.

> But when I start the download using the Mozilla Firefox downloader, it shows
> the size of  (1) as  362.2 MB instead of  4556480 KB,
> and the size of (2) as 349.1 MB instead of  4543360 KB.
>
> I have tried with other downloaders like wget, Star Downloader, DAP,
> Internet Explorer Downloader, but they all show the sizes of the files to be
> downlaoded in MBs instead of  approx 4GB each.

Maybe the file size limits of FAT32 are similarly in other Windows file
transfer programs. In that case you really do need to download CD1 (or
maybe a couple more if you really insist) or netinst.