Re: Workarround for "No common CD-ROM drive was detected"

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 04:24:31PM -0300, Jos?? Pablo Ezequiel Fern??ndez wrote:
> I am tring to install Debian Sarge in a computer with two SATA HDs and one IDE
> CD-ROM, I get the error "No common CD-ROM drive was detected".
> I believe it is this bug:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2005/12/msg00351.html
> Any workaround to install Debian 3.1 with Linux 2.6 on that machine (Linux 2.4
> works, but I need 2.6 for other reasons, Ubuntu with Linux 2.6 works) ?
> I tried floppies, they only have 2.4, any floppies with 2.6 ? can I install
> from the netinst image like from the floppies (downloading everything, not
> needing the CD itself ?).

You may try the suggestion in http://wiki.foosel.net/linux/t43

- Boot in expert26 mode.
- deselect ata-piix when asked for modules to enable
- CD-ROM will be detected
- Next prompt for modules should offer ata-piix. Select it.

That worked for me at least.

Regards,

						Victor