Re: Problem with xserver-xorg_6.9.0.dfsg.1-1_i386.deb with ATI X700

Halestino Pimentel <halestino@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> After updating the packages and upgrading my system, xserver-xorg upgraded to
> version 6.9. After that I couldn't start X anymore. I know that downgrading to
>
> xserver-xorg_6.8.2.dfsg.1-11_i386.deb solves the problem, but since
> packages.debian is down for a few days, I can't get the
> xserver-xorg_6.8.2.dfsg.1-11_i386.deb package to have X working again.
> So, I have two questions:
>
> 1) Is there another way to get the package/solve the problem using the ATI
> driver?

Doesn't "apt-get install xserver-xorg=6.8.2" work for you? You might
have to fiddle with the version number string or even the preferences
file. See the man page for apt_preferences for a downgrading example.

Otherwise, you can download the right package from your mirror. For
example:

  http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/pool/main/x/xorg-x11/

> 2) What can I do to prevent similar problems in the future (breaking the
> normal system behaviour after upgrades)?

1. Run stable.

2. Follow the relevant mailing lists/newsgroups and don't upgrade when
   there's a problem, or put a hold on the affected packages (see the
   man page for the package manager you use), or edit your apt
   preferences file to avoid upgrading a certain package.

   This has been discussed for weeks on gmane.linux.debian.user.laptop.