Re: Power down

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 12:58 pm, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 17:17:59 +0000
>
> "Elmer E. Dow" <elmeredow@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > Andrei Popescu wrote:

> > >If you look at your dmesg it suggests just that, enabling it. It can't
> > > hurt to try

> > >Andrei
> >
> > acpi=force works! I first tried removing apmd, deleting apm in
> > /etc/modules and adding acpi there. I also installed acpid and so on,
> > but the machine complained of fatal errors, etc. So I uninstalled acpid,
> > deleted acpi in /etc/modules and left just acpi=force in menu.lst -- and
> > it worked.
> >
> > So now I'm wondering how this works without the acpi module or having
> > acpi compiled into the kernel. Does forcing acpi just makes it use the
> > power management in the bios?
> >
> > Thanks, gentlemen, for your kind assistance.
> >
> > Elmer
>
> lsmod should tell you what modules you have loaded. I bet 'acpi' is there.
> You should also install acpid and acpitool to have some control/monitoring
> (was that a laptop?). But that's just fine-tuning ;)
>

> Andrei
> --

No acpi in the list from lsmod.

The computer in question is an old Dell 333 desktop. Acpi works ok on my IBM
R40 laptop. Lsmod on the latter doesn't list acpi, but does list ac and
battery which are related tools. Acpid works on the laptop, but just results
in logging fatal errors on the desktop.

Elmer