Re: Power down

Andrei Popescu wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:02:58 +0000
"Elmer E. Dow" <elmeredow@earthlink.net> wrote:

Vincent Smeets wrote:

Hallo,

I have an old (1999) computer too. dmesg showed that the kernel does find my ACPI but doesn't use it because my bios is too old. It says something like "... bios too old (1999 < 2001)". I now use the kernel parameter "acpi=force" and now the kernel is using my ACPI. Poweroff does now realy switch the power off!

I've read that acpi=force works with 2.4 kernels but not 2.6 like mine. What kernel are you using?

If you look at your dmesg it suggests just that, enabling it. It can't hurt to try

Also, power management is enabled in the bios. Is that correct or is it fighting apm?

Elmer