Re: who is r/w-ing my hdd?

Marty wrote:

[snip]

I agree with the previous poster that hardware stress is not an issue with a hard
disk, although I've read of concerns about flash drives.

There are only a limited number of times the drive will successfully
seek, but bearing wear is not really something to worry about.

The issue with FLASH is erasure. Any time one wants to write a sector
of FLASH (sector size varies with the exact chips used, and sometimes
on what address within the chips) one must read the entire sector out,
modify the data, and then write back. This causes an erase of the
sector. Erasure is what causes wear-out, through mechanisms which
are not fully understood. The way EEPROM (FLASH is a type of EEPROM)
works, there is a conductive surface embedded in SiO2 which is given
a charge, or which has the charge depleted. The high voltage used
during erasure causes tunnelling, and in some way, also degrades the
insulating properties of the SiO2. Ion migration might play a part in
this. Temperature certainly does, and erasure at elevated temperatures
certainly can cause early wear-out. Any given sector can only be erased
(and hence written) a limited number of times.

I don't know what the connection with X could be, but it seems plausible that it could generate enough background activity to trigger one or more of the above
factors.

You have found the bank of Larn.