Re: Gimp does not work because of Fontconfig version

Mauricio Lin wrote:

[...]

I searched by libfontconfig.so.1 version under /usr directory in my system:

# cd /usr
# find -name libfontconfig*so*
./lib/libfontconfig.so.1.0.4
./lib/libfontconfig.so.1
./lib/libfontconfig.so
./X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so.1.0
./X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
./X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so

Hi Mauricio,

I only have the libfontconfig* files in /usr/lib/ (I use Sid). I would
guess that your files in /usr/X11R6/lib/ are from some old package or a
package that is not part of the official Debian repositories or a custom
install/backport of X, etc.

So there are 2 versions of Fontconfig and the gimp points to
/usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so.1:

# ldd /usr/bin/gimp | grep "libfontconfig"
libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 (0xb7858000)

Since /usr/X11R6/lib/libfontconfig.so.1 is a symlink, is it safe change it
to point to /usr//lib/libfontconfig.so.1.0.4?

I would try to find out where these files came from and then remove them
if possible. You could use "dpkg -S libfontconfig.so" to see if they
were part of a .deb package. For comparison, the output of this command
on my computer is:

$ dpkg -S libfontconfig.so
libfontconfig1: /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1
libfontconfig1-dev: /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so
libfontconfig1: /usr/lib/libfontconfig.so.1.0.4

If the additional files are listed as part of another package you could
try to uninstall that package via apt or aptitude with the "-s" option.
That will tell you if other packages on your system depend on it.

HTH

Regards,
         Florian