Re: Kickstart floppy Debian

TAC Forums wrote:
Our company needs to install Debian 3.1 across several computers which
are not connected to each other and reside on separate locations.

But, the configuration of each of these PC's need to be the same.

FAI , which is a tool to install several machines automatically, not
requiring user intervention would not work for us, as it installs over
the Network.

What I do:
- on 'golden client' save package information:
  $ dpkg --get-selections "*" >myselections # or use \*
  (This is a file with lines like  `packagename   installed` etc.)
- on 'golden client' save configuration information:
  $ debconf-get-selections > configselections
  (This stores the answers to all those questions during install)

On 'new' computer:
- install base system (no extra software, no user (we have a central user management on a server via network))

- load package information:
  $dpkg --set-selections < myselections

- load package configuration information:
  $debconf-set-selections < configselections

- now install the packages with aptitude or else

- now you have on both maschines the same packages with the same debconf configuration. If there are some spcially crafted config-files in /etc just copy them on disk and then to the 'new' computers as well.

My myselections and configselections are about 30k each and easily fit on a floppy.

It's just a little more work than having a fully automatic installation, but very configurable.

You could also put your three or some more lines into a skript to execute after base-install. (In fact this is, what I do. )

More information on automatic installation can be found in the official documentation:

http://www.de.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s07.html.en

Johannes