Re: how to convert 100 bmp files to jpeg?

hendrik@topoi.pooq.com said on Sun, 15 Jan 2006 21:26:16 -0500:
> On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 12:10:21PM +1100, Tim Connors wrote:
> > I don't think there is a fixed limit glob buffer.  Are you sure you
> > are not confusing this with the amount of space bash is allowed to
> > allocate for arguments for spawned commands -- a kernel limit?
>
> If there's a fixed limit glob buffer that makes it impossible
> to use a command like
>
> 	onions *.bmp
>
> I don't see how saying
>
> 	onions `ls *.bmp`
>
> could possibly help.  Wouldn't the nested command

It doesn't.  But a for loop is a different beast anyway (this is what
the OP was doing).  For loops aren't done by passing arguments to
commands; it's all done within the shell, which doesn't have any such
limits (well, other than the 2-3GB limit you get regarding memory
limits in 32 bit kernels, but I can't see anyone passing 2GB to a
subcommand via the commandline :)

> 	ls *.bmp
>
> just run afoul of the same boffer limit?

Yep.