[rhynes1@comcast.net: Re: system requirements for debian]

I'm sending this back to the list to keep it online.  Middle stuff
chopped out...

----- Forwarded message from Bob Hynes <rhynes1@comcast.net> -----

Delivery-date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 15:30:10 -0800
From: Bob Hynes <rhynes1@comcast.net>
To: Kenward Vaughan <kay_jay@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: system requirements for debian

Kenward Vaughan wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 01:57:55PM +0000, Bob Hynes wrote:
>

>>I have debian running on a 500Mhz box with 256MB ram. It's pretty
>>slow...slower than windows would be. Is there anyone who know what I

>You say nothing about any of this, so you won't likely get a lot of
>specific help.
>
>Not that it matters really, but do you actually run Windoze on the
>machine, or is that statement less a measured fact than conjecture?  My
>work box in Windoze land _should_ be faster than my old Athlon at home,
>but the home machine blows away the work machine.
>

>Kenward

I have a Pentium II 500Mhz Celeron Dell G1. I'm using the basic box, no
additional hardware, just the integrated graphics card. I did have
Windows on this machine before and it did run faster. I'm coming from a
Windows world personally, so just to start understanding Linux, I'm
starting with using KDE. I've used Gnome also, but I'm sticking with KDE
(Version 5:45) for awhile.

I'm trying to get away from using Windows at my house if possible. But
my main complaint is that pretty much every application in this
distribution (Debian 10 -- Kernel is 2.6.12-10) starts slowly.
Especially Mozilla Firefox. Konqueror starts faster, but is still not
the greatest. Abiword starts so slow that I might as well walk over to
my other computer (Windows) and start MS Office.

I would love to figure this out, I really like Debian and I'd like to
try other distros as well. So far I've run Debian and Fedora. I think
Fedora was actually slower than Debian.

----- End forwarded message -----

--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,