Re: Debian vs. Debian vs. Debian vs. Debian

Felix Miata wrote:

> Even after that fix, mc doesn't work right. Its
> display on the ttys is subject to character shifting so that you're
> rarely exactly sure where you're looking at valid display and where
> you're seeing corruption.

That's simply a matter of the locale: mc cannot cope with UTF-8 because all
the layout calculation probably depend on the assumption that the string
binary length matches the display length (I'd call those strlen() and
strwidth()).
That may be due to the fact that, although many application have this problem,
there is not easy-to-use library that automatically handles this in a
portable way (and no, the mcs* function are _not_ a solution).

HS

        oder über pgp.net