Re: camera and mounting

On Thu, Jan 12, 2006 at 10:40:05AM +0100, Embrik Kaslegard wrote:
> I've just bought myself a samsung digimax v700 camera. I've tried to mount it by adding this line to the /etc/fstab (after I made the catalog mmc in /media)
>   /dev/sdc1       /media/mmc      vfat    rw,user,noauto  0       0
>
>  This is probably not enough, though it is anough to mount an MP3-player.
>
>  I get this message when I try to open:
>
>  mount: special device /dev/sdc1 does not exist
>  Please check that the disk is entered correctly.
>
>  Any sugestions?

I'm not an expert, but here are some issues to address:

1) You mention an MP3 player. You therefore have more than one
USB device. Depending on the order in which you plug them in and
unplug them, they will be assigned to different scsi device IDs,
_unless_ you install and configure special software.

2) What you need to do depends on which kernel you are running.
Different steps for 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

3) You may get lucky and stumble into a working arrangement in
just a few steps, but now that you have two usb devices, I
suggest you step back and investigate kernel 2.6, and udev.
udev _must_ be configured in order to achieve benefits. As
installed, it simply reimplements status quo ante device handling
policy.

Sorry for the somewhat scary message, but I wasted a lot of time
on 3 cameras, 5 flash memories, and a flatbed scanner before I
broke down and RTFM.

HTH

--
Paul E Condon