Re: Command-line/batch tools for handling mail attachments?

Hi

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006, Karl O. Pinc wrote:

> On 01/12/2006 01:34:42 PM, Jim Holland wrote:

> > It seemed initially that uudeview could do it all out of the box -
> > decoding MIME base64, uuencoding, BinHex etc.  It does that all very
> > well - even with broken boundary lines and missing headers etc.
> > However the more I tested it the more problems I found with loss of
> > the text part of messages in the output, leading to the script getting
> > more and more complicated in order to be able to handle each
> > exception.
>
> What about mimedecode?

I hadn't come across that before.  I tested it with various encoded
messages and it didn't do anything at all - output was the same as input.
It seems to be designed only to handle subparts of content-type text, not
actual attachments.  It could be handy if it extracted all the text and
left the rest, but its output includes all the encoding as well.

At the moment MANGO is using metamail, but it has many limitations, as
does munpack.  I just want something which will take a message as input
and then extract headers, text and attachments, regardless of encoding (or
else at least handle MIME base64, quoted-printable, uuencoding and
BinHex).

Regards

Jim Holland
System Administrator
MANGO - Zimbabwe's non-profit e-mail service