Bug #269499 apache-ssl CustomLog problems

apache-ssl bug #269499 "apache-ssl: SSL log directives don't work"

I'm wondering if anyone has found or is using an easy workaround for this particular bug that doesn't require a recompile/source code change of the package as mentioned in the bug report correspondence.

It seems that the syntax given to get the ciper info, etc is broken. The supplied httpd.conf syntax doesn't work.

CustomLog /var/log/apache-ssl/ssl.log "%t %{version}c %{cipher}c %{clientcert}c"

Output to the log file only returns output like this:
[12/Jan/2006:09:34:42 -0500] - - -
[12/Jan/2006:09:34:42 -0500] + + +
[12/Jan/2006:09:34:42 -0500] + + +

This bug has been outstanding for over a year and was apparently kicked back upstream to apache-ssl. However, their page also references the broken syntax.

Anyone have any ideas or experiences short of rebuilding it? I'm not against doing that, but if I can avoid having to maintain my own package, that would help immensely.

Thanks,

jef